Thursday, April 30, 2009

sandblaster part 4

So, More work on the sandblaster tonight... but first, Nicola served me a tasty dinner of sushi....Yum!

Tonight, I started on the axle for the wheels. While it's a small sandblaster, It will weigh 40 to 50 pounds when full, so I'd prefer to wheel it around than carry it.
To serve the purpose, I have some pneumatic wheels I've had from another project, so I'll use those. They will be good for rolling around the driveway with it's uneven surface.
Naturally they'll need air though.

For the axle itself, I have a steel rod, and a sleeve that fits tightly around it. It was leftover from another project as well, but it was sitting outside, so...


They're kind of rusted together,I'll put some liquid wrench in there and bang with a hammer to get them apart.


I stuck a screwdriver in the middle and .... banged it with a hammer. The rod is a tight fit through the bearings on the wheel, and the tube gets cut to a sufficient length to serve as a stop against which the wheels butt tightly....



The Only problem is that the steel tube is too short.



So, I'll cut the tube in half.


And I'll tack weld them to the axle-rod in the correct locations for the inside wheel bearings to register against holding them in position.




And with four tack welds, the axle is nearly complete.





The last thing before attaching it to the sandblaster is to drill two holes for cotter pins. which will be used to hold washers in place to register the outside wheel bearings for a nice snug fit.



The penultimate activity of the evening was to weld the axle onto the Blaster...




The final activity was to test mount the wheels.



In this picture you can see some of it coming together, and you can see how the axle tube had to be split, and the purpose it serves to position the wheels.

Next, I'll add a third leg so the blaster can sit upright, and a handle from an old tire iron that does not fit any of our cars.

More later

No comments: