Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sandblaster

I need a sandblaster. but I don't want to pay for one. I do however have heaps of junk, and a welder, so I'll make one.

I will use 1 empty propane tank, 2 wheels, 2 steel fence posts, and a heap of plumbing fittings, and the outcome will be a sandblaster.

first, how to get the valve off the propane tanks, normal wrenches won't do it. A 'propane tank wrench costs 29 bucks. that doesn't save money.So, I made one with some 1.5 in water pipe that has been laying around.

next.... get the valve off.

Valve off!
Then fill tank with water to displace the remaining propane
make filler lid so I can pour sand in, and have a lid which will hold pressure. I'm using a 3" diameter pipe cap with a 3/4 in pipe cut and welded on

For the filler spout, I'm using a 3" pipe nipple cut in half.............
Next, I cleaned the paint off the bottom of the propane tank where I'll weld the pipe nipple.Weld on to the propane tank (bottom).

With the lid screwed on.

That's it for today, next will be to add wheels, handles, and cut a hole where the filler pipe is mounted.

more to come.............

2 comments:

Nicola said...

when you put it in pictures, mike, that is just awesome. i love how resourceful you are. that's one of the reasons i married you!

Unknown said...

hey mike, i am following along in new york with your sandblaster project. did you get any further on it? my welding skill is not comparable to yours, but i am trying. if you have made more progress, i would love to follow along the photos and directions to get my project up and running again.
thanks.
joe